CVNE (pronounced Coo-nay), or as known by it its full name — Compañía Vinicola del Norte de España (The Northern Spanish Wine Company), was established in Haro, Rioja on March 24, 1879 by brothers, Eusebio and Raimundo Real de Asúa. The first wine of CVNE was named after the company’s initials but a simple orthographic mistake with the letter ‘V’ transformed the name CVNE to CUNE and hence the name Cune (also pronounced Coo-nay) was adopted as both the name of the original winery and for the wines produced under the Cune label.
Today, CVNE is still operated and managed by direct descendants of the Real de Asúa family now in its fifth generation, siblings Victor and Maria Urrutia.
The 1,350 acres of vineyards that CVNE owns account for 50% of the company’s production, and are distributed between the two subregions of Rioja Alta and Rioja Alavesa, an area of calcareous clay soils, ferrous clay and alluvial soils, under the influence of the Atlantic and Mediterranean climates.
CVNE’s crest is, essentially, Spains’ flag. Not an aristocrat’s shield, or a single person’s signature. CVNE is Spain’s ambassador.